Here is a quick snack recipe to mix together. Simple ingredients with one surprise ingredient I know you’ll love once you try it!
… It’s Toasted Quinoa and it adds a crunchy texture (as well as extra protein and lots of minerals) for a boost of nutrition!
You may think you don’t like quinoa, but in this form, it’s pure crunch so why not get the extra nutrition?! Quinoa is a complete protein, meaning it contains all 8 essential amino acids that are necessary to get from our diet. It’s high in magnesium (good for relaxing your muscles), fiber, other minerals (zinc, copper, manganese, and phosphorus) and omega 3 fats.
Included is raw honey which is a natural sweetener (yay!) and is full of natural enzymes and probiotics (bonus!).
This snack is PACKED with good stuff for you! And you know, chocolate chips! Yum!
- ¾ C uncooked quinoa
- 2 C rolled oats
- ¼ C raw honey
- ½ C mini chocolate chips
- 16 oz container (or 1.5 C) peanut butter
- *optional ¼ C dried fruit (like dried cherries)
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add quinoa.
- Stir often and keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn. You may need to turn down the heat if you think it's burning.
- It will begin popping when almost done. After about 1-2 minutes of popping, turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, measure your oats, honey, chocolate chips, peanut butter and optional dried fruit into a medium size bowl. You can add the quinoa as soon as it's finished.
- Mix well and place bowl in fridge.
- Let it cool for about 15-20 minutes. When it's cold, it stays together easier to roll into balls.
- Roll into approximately 1-1.5 inch size (bite size) balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place balls into a container or ziploc and keep in fridge or freezer.
- Pop into your mouth when you're ready to eat!