How to Prepare For a Cacao Ceremony
See FAQs at the bottom-
Read the FAQs about Cacao Ceremonies if you have never done one but are curious about it.
Scroll to the bottom of this page for the FAQ’s.
Watch this video to learn how to make your ceremonial cacao drink.
6-8oz hot water
Blender, stick blender or can use a spoon/whisk
1- 1.5 oz of ceremonial-grade cacao
1-2 tsp sweetener like honey, agave or coconut sugar
Dash of any spices like cayenne, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg
Prepare it with love, intention and gratitude for those who grew and prepared this cacao for you
Ideally no sips before we start!
Prepare yourself in a comfortable, quiet location. Ideally this would be a meditation spot with no outer distractions.
Read these Precautions:
• It is not recommended to consume cacao later than 7 pm due to the effect it may have on your sleep.
• Ideally eat a small snack about 30 minutes before consuming cacao. It is best to not have a large meal beforehand, but also to not have an empty stomach. It may cause nausea or stomach upset otherwise.
• To prevent headaches and to ground yourself after, drink plenty of water and eat a snack or meal.
Do any of these apply to you?
• If you are taking an MAOI you should NOT drink cacao.
• If you have a heart condition, cacao increases blood flow and may cause undesirable stress on the cardiovascular system.
• Pregnancy- there is no research in this area, but it has been heard that 25-50% of a ceremonial dose (no more than .75 oz, or about 1-2 Tbsp) is ok for pregnant women to consume. My recommendation is to drink at your own discretion and under the supervision of a doctor.
• Children have done well on smaller amounts of cacao, but they might become more energized.
• If you are taking 5-HTP or melatonin, drinking cacao may affect your sleep.